Fun little recipe from a 10 cent find: Fudge Four O'Clocks from The Cookie Book. It uses unsweetened chocolate squares and bakes up similar to brownies. Top with a fluffy vanilla frosting and lightly toasted mammoth pecan halves for full retro effect.
Fudge Four O'Clocks
- 2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Melt chocolate and shortening together in a bain marie over low heat.
- Beat eggs until thick, and add in sugar gradually. Continue beating eggs until light.
- Add in chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread in two 8x8 baking pans that have been well greased.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until the batter tests done, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars when cool.
Renee Shelton, Creator of PastrySampler.com